What does the industry have to offer?
The retail, warehousing and distribution industry offers a diverse choice of job roles in a continually growing sector with opportunities readily available. It is a complex business, and no two shops or warehouses are the same. They have different customers, products, procedures and rules. If you want to move on in the industry, you need to prove that you can not only do your job, but that you can adapt to different circumstances, for example a different location, a different type of customer etc. The best way to do this is through an Apprenticeship.
What is an Apprenticeship in Retailing, Warehousing and Distribution?
An Apprenticeship offers an opportunity to gain qualifications whilst you are working. You will get high quality work experience in your chosen occupational area, develop your CV with nationally recognised qualifications as well as enjoy a salary and all of the perks of working for a company. You can choose between an Apprenticeship in Retailing or one in Warehousing and Storage; CWT will help you decide the most appropriate route for you based on your interests and career aspirations.
Is it the type of Apprenticeship for me?
In general you will need to be friendly, approachable, helpful, organised and customer focused. You will need to be prepared for hard work, be flexible and work effectively under pressure both individually and as part of a team. Whatever your GCSE grades or experience we will recommend an appropriate starting point for your career in retailing, warehousing or distribution. You may have to work shifts, which may include weekends and early evenings, it will depend on your job role and working environment.
What will I do?
You will have the opportunity to experience:
- Give customers the best impression
- Display stock to promote sales to customers
- Help customers to choose products
- Accurately take payments
- Provide information and guidance to customers
- Merchandise and sell stock
- Resolve customer complaints
- Receive and put goods into storage
- Audit stock levels
- Assemble and process orders for goods
- Pick and pack deliveries and dispatch goods
What qualifications will I gain?
- Level 2 Certificate in Warehousing & Storage (QCF)
- Level 2 Certificate/Diploma in Retail Skills
- Level 3 Diploma in retail skills
- Level 2/3 Certificate in Retail Knowledge
- Qualifications in English and mathematics
- To extend the opportunities available CWT also offers IT, Fork Lift Truck, Health & Safety and First Aid courses and qualifications. These may be chargeable.
How will CWT support you to gain your qualifications?
- Assist you in securing employment of your choice
- Arrange and support for appropriate training to develop your knowledge
- Provide Functional Skills workshops to develop your skills
- Appoint a designated Training Adviser to guide and support you
- Undertake quarterly progress reviews with you and your work place supervisor
- Offer immediate contact and information through an on-line communication hub
How long will it take to gain my qualification?
Retail and Warehousing Apprenticeships at level 2 will take approximately 12 months to complete; with a following 12 months to achieve the Advanced Apprenticeship at level 3.
How do I know this is right for me?
For information contact us on 024 7623 1122 or apply online.