Research carried out by the Department for Business Innovation and Skills alongside a host of leading business organisations has revealed many concerning trends within leadership and management in the UK.
5 key stats that you need to act upon fast:
- Ineffective management is estimated to be costing UK businesses over £19billion per year in lost working hours.
- 43% of UK managers rate their own line manager as ineffective – and only one in five are qualified.
- Nearly three quarters of organisations in England reported a deficit of management and leadership skills in 2012. This deficit is contributing to our productivity gap with countries like the US, Germany and Japan.
- Incompetence or bad management of company directors causes 56% of corporate failures.
- The UK Commission's Employer Skills Survey reported that only 34% of all employers provided management training.
Source: The Department for Business Innovation and Skills A summary of the evidence for the value of investing in leadership and management development report June 2012.
Employers can do much to improve their leadership and management capability and boost business performance such as developing a leadership and management training strategy. Key considerations are the form, content, timing, duration and cost. Most value will be gained if these are considered as part of an accredited, holistic programme of development.
Discover how CWT Chamber Training's leadership and management programmes
can be part of the answer for you
Share this page